Egg Quilt,... Over and Out!!

Well, it's finished! (Huge sigh of relief) It's amazing fast track to the finish line all transpired at 4:40am this morning! I had woken at 3am, with a rotten headache, as a result of a sinus cold I've been dealing with over the previous 3-4 days. Not being able to get back to sleep, at 4:40am, I realised I should just hop to it and start the binding, so I did. I figured as I was awake, I might as well use my time productively. So after a day hand finishing the binding, The Egg Quilt is done. This quilt was a true learning curve for me. I learnt a lot of new things and also saw what happens when things aren't as they should be to start with.

For example, I learnt how hard SID is to do with a ruler on a Longarm machine. This quilt was also my first attempt at mitred corners. Piano keys and Beadboard were new quilting designs I attempted, and also learnt how they can improve friendly borders. (overly wavy). One thing I had been told was, feather borders can make friendly borders, friendlier!! This I experienced, but that was okay too, because this quilt was to become a real test piece for new technique, and seriously, I had to have feathers on it somewhere!!! On reflection, the friendly feathered border, could have been improved with a small Beadboard stitched from the edge of the quilt to the edge of the feather motif, echo a portion of the feather and then stitch back out to the edge again.
Despite the fact that, The Egg Quilt had quite a few moments of, "I'm a bit over this now", I'm glad it is finally finished and happy with the results, given where I am in the whole quilting scheme of things. Until the next quilt, it's back to the practice, practice, practice.- Julie

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it's beautiful. I love how you quilted the border.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue and Ardelle. The spine was a bit tricky to keep steady because of it's length, but I think I've found a solution to getting a long spine for next time.

    ReplyDelete