Ready and waiting.

Ash sewed this top up a couple of months back and it is due to be loaded onto the frame this weekend. I get a reprieve on this one, as she is quilting it! My job will be to scout, as she is doing a pantograph on it. (I've never done the scout job before, so it will be a new experience for me. Hope I do it right!!) It measures 87" x 88".

Following Ash's quilt, is one I picked up last year on our trip to America. I was in the most amazing patchwork shop just out of Dallas, that stocked hundreds upon hundreds of bolts of fabric, mainly all civil war repro fabrics. They also had many quilt tops hung on the walls, that could be purchased. I spotted this one and no matter how many times I wandered around the store, just kept coming back to it.
I just love the colour combination here. It measures 83" x 108", so I will have my work cut out for me quilting it. I have an idea of how I will quilt the central portion, and are planning feathers in those half square blue triangles, but I've drawn a bit of a blank for that 8" wide border. Any suggestions?
Until next time, have fun quilting!-Julie.



4 comments:

  1. That quilt top is beautiful. Whatever you decided to do in the middle would be perfect I'm sure, personally I would go with something traditional. What is scouting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very pretty top. I wish I knew the person who made it. When a pantograph is being stitched out, the person doing the stitching, often has to look up from the pantograph to see what's going on at the front of the machine. When you have a 'scout', or additional person to help, they can be at the front of the machine watching the stitching happening and prevent or minimise any puckers or pleats if the top has too much fullness. The person at the rear of the machine only has to have their eyes on the pantograph pattern as they follow it with the laser. For Ash and I, it makes the whole process a bit quicker. Not as many stops and starts.

      Delete
  2. It has a curvy spine through the centre of the rose stems, why not play with your hooked feathers off it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am leaning towards feathers too, in that outer border. Possibly with a little 'extra' happening there. Thanks for suggesting hooked feathers, hadn't even thought of them!

      Delete